Hello world! It’s been a looooooong time since I posted something on here. I’ve been busy with work and life, but I want to expand my blog & media presence in Calgary and beyond. I’m also planning to bring you Calgary vegans more of my vegan treats sometime soon! And so, I want to start everything off with this recipe for a vegan chocolate cake with coconut yogurt glaze!
If you look at my Instagram posts or blog recipes, you may be able to tell that I LOVE my chocolate. It’s such a versatile ingredient and a godsend for vegan recipes & baking. Fear the day when chocolate and cacao is gone from the world (and it might be sooner than expected)!
So before that happens, enjoy chocolate now, and makes this cake! It’s perfect for entertaining, for parties, or even if you just want something sweet as a snack.
The coconut yogurt glaze is a bit tart, which balances the sweetness of the cake. While it is good at room temperature, when you leave the glazed cake in the fridge overnight, the cake absorbs the liquid in the yogurt and the glaze firms up a bit. That way, the glaze won’t ooze when you slice the cake. 🙂
Enjoy this recipe y’all! And be on the lookout for more recipes, videos and more!
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Coconut Yogurt Glaze
Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (can use all-purpose flour too)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (extra virgin olive, coconut, canola, etc.)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee (cooled)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Coconut Yogurt Glaze
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (see notes)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (squeeze of a lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°C. Line an 8" cake pan with parchment & oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax seed and water together. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small glass, pour the non-dairy milk and vinegar together. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder). Mix with a whisk to remove the cocoa powder lumps. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients (flax seed mixture, oil, non-dairy milk mixture, coffee and vanilla extract).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour into the cake pan, and bake at 350°C for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It doesn't matter if the cake is slightly underdone, since it's edible even when raw.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the cooled cake onto your serving platter.
Coconut Yogurt Glaze
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, icing sugar, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake, and garnish (if you want)!
- You can use any non-dairy yogurt, like soy, almond or cashew yogurt. Even regular Greek yogurt works if you're not vegan.
- If you don't have flax seed, you can use chia seed egg or even commercial egg replacer (Ener-G). If not vegan, you can use an egg.
I had some Silk Coconut Yogurt tubs in my fridge, so I decided to use it for this cake glaze (no, I am not sponsored). However, feel free to use whatever vegan yogurt you have in hand—so long as it is unsweetened.